MEMBER PROTECTION INFORMATION OFFICERS
Member Protection Information Officers (MPIO) play an important role in community and sporting organisations.
A Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO) provides information about the rights, responsibilities and options available to an individual making a complaint. To learn more about how you can protect the welfare and wellbeing of all our members, most importantly that of the children and young people of our club, please contact our Member Protection Information Officers (MPIO’s) at firstname.lastname@example.org or read the Safeguarding Children and Young People Handbook and The Office of Sport is releasing a new series of videos that illustrate the important role MPIOs play in sporting clubs and associations across NSW.
Would you like to become a Member Protection Information Officer? Or would you like more information on becoming one? Please visit the SLSNSW site Member Protection Information Officer
The video promotes the value of MPIOs in improving the experience of members, from both an MPIO and Committee point of view. They are also useful as a tool to create greater awareness of MPIOs and to encourage more clubs and individuals to take up the role.
To become an MPIO and receive a Certificate of Recognition, participants must:
Complete the free online training course
- Access the MPIO online course via Sports Integrity Australia. You can use your existing Play by the Rules log in or register without cost for an account (this course must be completed PRIOR to you attending the workshop).
- Choosing Find Courses from the top menu and then clicking on Play by the Rules will bring PBTR- Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO) straight to the top row.
- The course takes several hours, and covers topics such as MPIO role, the law, complaints management, child protection and ethics.
- It’s essential you do the online training before coming to the MPIO workshop as it forms the basis for all discussion, and will ensure you get the most from the workshop session.
Attend an Interactive Webinar or Virtual Workshop
- Visit the Sport NSW website and follow the booking process. All MPIO workshops are currently free.
- Topics covered will include roles and responsibilities, listening and responding effectively, conflict of interest, communication as well as useful resources and contacts.
- Select a course based on location and vacancies.
- Use both your online and workshop certification numbers. Details of this process will be shared upon completion of the face-to-face workshop.